Discover Relief with TMJ Treatment in San Diego
Facing chronic pain and discomfort can be discouraging, but there is hope for relief. Persistent headaches and other painful symptoms might be caused by temporomandibular joint disease (TMJD or TMJ). It's estimated that about 12% of people in the United States, primarily women and young individuals, suffer from this condition. Fortunately, our Dental Office offers safe and effective treatment options for TMJ.
Understanding TMJ and Neuromuscular Dentistry
Your jaw joints, termed the temporomandibular joints, are among the most dynamic in your body. These small but crucial joints facilitate movement in various directions, accommodating actions like eating, chewing, yawning, and talking. Over time, these joints can undergo significant stress and wear, potentially leading to TMJD. This condition can manifest as intense pain and if left unchecked, may severely impact jaw function and overall quality of life.
Common Symptoms of TMJD
TMJ disorder symptoms range in severity. While they may start subtly, these symptoms often intensify with time. Recognizable signs include:
• Pain or tenderness in the jaw
• Discomfort in one or both temporomandibular joints
• Ear aches or the sensation of fullness in the ear
• Difficulties in chewing or outright pain when chewing
• Muscle spasms and tension
• Recurring headaches or migraines
• Chronic neck pain and tension
• Tingling sensations in the upper back and arms
• Poor posture
• Jaw locking or challenges in opening/closing the mouth
Additionally, TMJD can produce a distinct clicking, popping, or grating noise when yawning or moving the jaw. This disorder can also trigger myofascial pain syndrome or nerve pain, caused by muscle spasms around the jaw joints.
Root Causes of TMJ
While the exact origins of TMD remain debated, factors increasing its risk or aggravating pain include:
• Arthritis types like rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, which can damage jaw cartilage.
• Jaw injuries resulting from sudden impacts or fractures.
• Dislocated jaws leading to sustained effects on tendons, cartilage, and muscles.
• Tooth alignment issues or inherent severe misalignments.
• Habitual grinding or clenching of teeth.
• Excessive stress, potentially causing teeth grinding or clenching.
The Connection Between TMJD and Chronic Pain
Many individuals with TMJ grapple with chronic pain and debilitating headaches. These symptoms, often mistaken for other conditions, result in misdiagnoses and prolonged discomfort. For instance, headaches stemming from TMJD might be mislabeled as migraines when they're caused by muscular tension. Poor functioning of the jaw joints affects surrounding tissues, stimulating the trigeminal nerve and potentially causing intense facial pain.
Seeking Treatment with Dr. Taís Trevelin
Dr. Taís Trevelin and our Dental Office are dedicated to providing effective, non-invasive TMJ treatments in San Diego. Our comprehensive approach begins with an evaluation of your nutritional levels, as TMJ symptoms can sometimes stem from nutritional deficiencies. If nutrition isn't the primary factor, we explore dental restorations and custom appliances to optimize jaw positioning. In most scenarios, our treatments preclude the need for surgeries or braces, restoring your jaw function and smile in a matter of weeks.
For more insights on TMJD and neuromuscular dentistry, or to initiate your journey to relief, please contact us at (858) 679-8918. We're eager to restore your smile and alleviate your pain.
Request an Appointment
Fill out the form below and we will contact you during our working hours.